Date: 18 May
Cost of taking action: £/$/€ FREE
Following the countryside code helps preserve our green places for everyone to enjoy
As summer approaches, more and more of us will be exploring our countryside.
If everyone follows a few simple rules and guidelines, we can all help keep the countryside clean and safe for everyone to enjoy. These are beautifully summarised by Natural England’s Countryside Code, which can apply to any country!
None of it is onerous, none of it is complicated, none of it is hard. It’s all just about common sense and respect.
• be considerate to those living in, working in and enjoying the countryside
• leave gates and property as you find them
• do not block access to gateways or driveways when parking
• be nice, say hello, share the space
• follow local signs and keep to marked paths unless wider access is available
Protect the environment
• take your litter home – leave no trace of your visit
• do not light fires and only have BBQs where signs say you can
• always keep dogs under control and in sight
• dog poo – bag it and bin it – any public waste bin will do
• care for nature – do not cause damage or disturbance
Enjoy the outdoors
• check your route and local conditions
• plan your adventure – know what to expect and what you can do
• enjoy your visit, have fun, make a memory
You can download a PDF summary version of The Countryside code by clicking on this image:
You can also learn more about the code at the Natural England website at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code.
Please – enjoy the countryside as the weather gets better, but show respect by abiding by The Countryside Code. This will help preserve and protect our ecosystems and keep the countryside safe for everyone for generations to come.