Date: 17 July
Cost of taking action: £/$/€ NIL
Something to think about a few days before you go on holiday
This is an action that can save you money, energy, carbon, food waste and plastic, all in one!
Before you go travelling, organise your fridge and freezer.
Let’s say, for example, that you are going to be away from your home for a fortnight, on your holiday. By planning the contents of your fridge and freezer properly you can contribute to reducing your carbon footprint and limiting food waste.
Here’s what do to
- in the days before you go away, plan your meals carefully, only buy what you need
- try and use up the contents of the fridge, including anything with expiry dates that fall while you are away
- if there is food you won’t eat before you go away, freeze it if you can (you can even freeze milk, and most cheeses)
- if you can’t freeze it, make it up into a cooked meal and freeze that
- if that won’t work, pass in-date food to family, friends or neighbours
- stock your freezer (it’s more efficient if it’s full) for when you return
- use ice packs or frozen water bottles to pack your freezer if it’s not full
- clean and sanitize your fridge and leave it switched off, empty, and with the door open
- arrange for a friend to come in and switch the fridge on the day before you travel back
- ask them to put milk, juice and other things you might need on day 1 in the fridge
- check your freezer setting are set at optimum for the season and leave it switched on
Why is this important?
These are all common sense measures to reduce electricity consumption (and thus carbon emissions) and food waste. Reducing food waste also reduces your carbon footprint still further, and the amount of plastic and other packaging that is used.
Food waste is unethical as well as environmentally damaging; for more information about this please visit this link:
On top of all of this, you will also be saving on your shopping bills and your electricity bill.
Please, for action 198, be smart with your fridge and freezer when you are planning a holiday, everyone benefits!